How do I move the Playing node to the middle panel? [#18019]

Get answers about the current version of MediaMonkey 5

Moderator: Gurus

nanite2000

How do I move the Playing node to the middle panel? [#18019]

Post by nanite2000 »

Hi!

I just upgraded to MediaMonkey 5 and I'm loving it so far - great work!

In MediaMonkey 4, I could put the 'Playing' panel under the main file list, so that I could see it full width and see all the columns that are important to me.

However, this layout does not seem to be possible in MediaMonkey 5 - I am restricted to only having the 'Playing' node in the left or right panels, which means it can only display a very small number of columns on screen without scrolling.

Is there a way to position the 'Playing' node into the middle panel, so that it can display as many columns as the main file list?

I am using MediaMonkey 5.0.0.2338 on Windows 10 Pro, build 19043.1052.

Thanks!
Peke

Re: How do I move the Playing node to the middle panel?

Post by Peke »

nanite2000 wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 9:02 pm I just upgraded to MediaMonkey 5 and I'm loving it so far - great work!
Thank you for that.

Regarding you missing space and columns hen you select Playing Tree node please also select/click on these three an dlet us know if that is enough space?
Best regards,
Peke
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to attach PICTURE/SCREENSHOTS to forum posts
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

You can use the Playing node to display the Playing in the middle, the Playing window can't be moved to the middle.

https://www.mediamonkey.com/wiki/WebHel ... laying/5.0
https://www.mediamonkey.com/wiki/WebHel ... the_Layout
nanite2000

Post by nanite2000 »

Peke wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 9:36 pm Regarding you missing space and columns hen you select Playing Tree node please also select/click on these three an dlet us know if that is enough space?
My middle panel already displays my files in a list. It's the 'Now Playing' element that's been squashed to the side panel, when I was previously able to show it *under* the file list in MediaMonkey 4.
Lowlander wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 9:46 pm You can use the Playing node to display the Playing in the middle, the Playing window can't be moved to the middle.
Sorry, I think I caused confusion by using the wrong terminology. To clarify: I'm not trying to display the Playing node - I'm trying to move the 'Playing' element into the middle panel.

So, right now I have my 'Playing' element in the right panel (highlighted in red):

Notice how the placement of the 'Playing' element means many columns in both the main file list and in 'Playing' are hidden because both have to be narrow to sit side by side.

I want to move my 'Playing' element under the main file list, as suggested in the image below:

That way, I can see all required columns in both the main file list and the 'Playing' element.

Is that possible?
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

No, as mentioned, that's not possible, but the Playing node displays the same list and thus can be viewed in the main panel. The Playing panel though is limited to the side bars.
nanite2000

Post by nanite2000 »

Lowlander wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 11:08 pm No, as mentioned, that's not possible, but the Playing node displays the same list and thus can be viewed in the main panel. The Playing panel though is limited to the side bars.
OK, thanks for confirming that.

It's a bit annoying to have to switch between tabs to view the full details of the 'Playing' and the main file list.

Why can't the 'Now Playing' element be displayed in the middle panel? Are there any plans to support it in future, like it was in MediaMonkey 4?

If not, I'll add it as a feature request.
BMF

Post by BMF »

I did before (long long ago), but this is a good way to renew. I miss this feature too. Actually it is the only feature i still miss from Version 4. For the rest i am convinced ;-).

greetings
bmf
nothing but a bmf ....
--------------------------
Windows 10 Professional (64 Bit); MM 5 (lifetime licence);
iPod Classic, Sonos
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

nanite2000

Re: [REQ] How do I move the Playing node to the middle panel? [#18019]

Post by nanite2000 »

Thanks Lowlander! 8)
Turbomortel

Re: How do I move the Playing node to the middle panel? [#18019]

Post by Turbomortel »

Hi !

+1 on that.
I use a two monitors setup, that would be even better if we could spread elements across the monitors !
IanRTaylorUK

Post by IanRTaylorUK »

Have you tried running multiple instances of MMW5?

There is an option to allow this - Tools / Options / General - Allow Just One Instance of Media Monkey.
Ian Taylor
nanite2000

Post by nanite2000 »

IanRTaylorUK wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 6:34 am Have you tried running multiple instances of MMW5?

There is an option to allow this - Tools / Options / General - Allow Just One Instance of Media Monkey.
That won't work for this use-case. Besides creating an unnecessary resource hog by having multiple instances open, each instance of MM5 maintains its own 'Now Playing' list. So, if the intent is to have 2 instances open to allow you to see 'Now Playing' in one instance and your library in another, then it doesn't work like that - changes in one instance of MM5 are not reflected in the other.

Additionally, only the 'Now Playing' list from the most recently closed instance is preserved, so you can very easily lose your whole 'Now Playing' list if you close windows in the wrong order (and the order in which they are closed by Windows during a system restart/update is entirely random).

The best solution so far is to have 2 open tabs in the same instance as suggested in https://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewt ... 61#p482761, but it still means we haven't solved the problem of switching between 2 tabs to see the full view of what we're playing.

Hopefully the team can implement the enhancement in https://www.ventismedia.com/mantis/view.php?id=18019 in v5.1 (or sooner!).
sarthaz

Post by sarthaz »

It's been a year since this post was updated, so I'd like to add my support in requesting this functionality. Thank you.
Turbomortel

Post by Turbomortel »

+1 , we are waiting this feature for some years now, and despite there are many threads about it, I don't see it assigned for version 5.1 :(
https://www.ventismedia.com/mantis/view.php?id=18019
Rob_S

Post by Rob_S »

+2
Using 5.1 LATEST alpha or beta build on Windows 10, HP laptop, managing 13k tracks