3D Flow Album View for MM5 - Support & Beta Testing

Get help for different MediaMonkey 5 Addons.

Moderators: jiri, drakinite, Addon Administrators

Andre_H

Re: 3D Flow Album View [successor to MonkeyFlow for MM5] Beta Testing

Post by Andre_H »

drakinite wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 8:21 pm Now, I have an important question: Should the tracklist be opened by default, or should it be hidden by default?
I suspect that "hidden" would make more sense for the majority of users, then the cover graphics simply come into their own.

But it is only my personal guess, I work with both views depending on the use case.
- MMW 5.0.4.2690 (non-portable, shared DB & files) on Windows 2016 # only essential addons # my 24/7 media server
- MMW MMW 5.0.4.2690 (non-portable, shared DB & files) on Windows 10 # playing, testing skins & addons # my desktop app
- MMA Pro (2.0.0.1063) on Android 10, 11, 12 Phones & Tabs # WiFi Sync # playing

- MP3Tag, MP3Diags, MP3DirectCut, IrfanView
IanRTaylorUK

Post by IanRTaylorUK »

Andre_H wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 1:58 am
drakinite wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 8:21 pm Now, I have an important question: Should the tracklist be opened by default, or should it be hidden by default?
I suspect that "hidden" would make more sense for the majority of users, then the cover graphics simply come into their own.

But it is only my personal guess, I work with both views depending on the use case.
Hidden as the default.

0.2.1 installed over 0.2.0 OK but not tested much as in middle of a sync to an external hard disk set as a sync target! Might be a hour or three before I can restart to test properly!
Ian Taylor
drakinite

Post by drakinite »

Great; that was an easy decision!
Actually, I'll put a poll on the main post to see if anyone else has a differing opinion.

By the way, another important thing: I want to make sure this view performs well even on large databases. If you experience any stuttering or low performance, aside from when the thumbnails are being generated for the first time by MediaMonkey, please let me know.
Student electrical-computer engineer, web programmer, part-time MediaMonkey developer, full-time MediaMonkey enthusiast
I uploaded many addons to MM's addon page, but not all of those were created by me. "By drakinite, Submitted by drakinite" means I made it on my own time. "By Ventis Media, Inc., Submitted by drakinite" means it may have been made by me or another MediaMonkey developer, so instead of crediting/thanking me, please thank the team. You can still ask me for support on any of our addons.
Andre_H

Post by Andre_H »

drakinite wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 8:00 am I want to make sure this view performs well even on large databases.
No stuttering or anything like that. But ... well ... 12.xxx tracks and a database of around 60MB here, so I'm probably more of a "small business owner" here. I guess you'd like to hear an additional opinion ... ;-)
- MMW 5.0.4.2690 (non-portable, shared DB & files) on Windows 2016 # only essential addons # my 24/7 media server
- MMW MMW 5.0.4.2690 (non-portable, shared DB & files) on Windows 10 # playing, testing skins & addons # my desktop app
- MMA Pro (2.0.0.1063) on Android 10, 11, 12 Phones & Tabs # WiFi Sync # playing

drakinite

Post by drakinite »

New version 0.2.2: Fixed a typo that caused significantly increased resource usage (Forcing the scene to render every frame, even when idle). Download it here: https://1drv.ms/u/s!AqHzUrf30uprqtU0X_IBc1On-tY3sA
Student electrical-computer engineer, web programmer, part-time MediaMonkey developer, full-time MediaMonkey enthusiast
I uploaded many addons to MM's addon page, but not all of those were created by me. "By drakinite, Submitted by drakinite" means I made it on my own time. "By Ventis Media, Inc., Submitted by drakinite" means it may have been made by me or another MediaMonkey developer, so instead of crediting/thanking me, please thank the team. You can still ask me for support on any of our addons.
IanRTaylorUK

Post by IanRTaylorUK »

Hi Drakinite,

0.2.2 installed no problem. View / artwork refreshes in under a second with 35,000 tracks.
Ian Taylor
drakinite

Post by drakinite »

New version 0.2.3:
  • Added the option to use lower-quality album thumbnails, for those concerned about memory usage
  • Improved the "Let the skin decide" background color option (The background is now automatically set to the skin's base color)
  • Added the ability to pre-load the album art thumbnails all at once, to provide a smoother experience after it's done
  • Fixed the tracklist appearing empty the first time you enable it
Download it here: https://1drv.ms/u/s!AqHzUrf30uprroEIMf_WjkG3ofN2TA

I feel like this addon is close to being ready for release. Any requests for additions (or issues) before it's released?
Andre_H

Post by Andre_H »

More of a question than a bug report: is it intended that the control will be from the cover view and that the playlists / tracklists will follow this, not the other way around?

For example, if I play a list of random tracks (usually only 1 or 2 tracks per alum / cover), the cover in the top view does not change when the track list below jumps to another album. Conversely, when I navigate out of the album/cover list, the track list follows the album without errors.

Edit/Add:

And then there is this: said random playlist, 1 track per album. When I double click on the album cover, all tracks on the album are picked up for playing, not just the ones from the playlist.

Any handling error on my side?

drakinite

Post by drakinite »

Andre_H wrote: Mon Oct 04, 2021 2:40 am More of a question than a bug report: is it intended that the control will be from the cover view and that the playlists / tracklists will follow this, not the other way around?

For example, if I play a list of random tracks (usually only 1 or 2 tracks per alum / cover), the cover in the top view does not change when the track list below jumps to another album. Conversely, when I navigate out of the album/cover list, the track list follows the album without errors.
That is correct. The 3D Album view is intended as a control, where you navigate the albums and choose what to play. The view will only update with user input: changing nodes, using arrow keys/scroll wheel, clicking on an album, or using the horizontal scroll bar. It's not programmed to change positions when the currently playing song changes.
That being said: If you think that would be a useful feature, and others agree, then I can add that functionality. I believe someone asked about using it in the Now Playing view:
MBane wrote: Sun Jul 11, 2021 11:58 pm This only works when you select albums and only for the specific album you pick. You can't have your entire playlist play random songs and it changes to the cover of the album currently playing like the old Monkey Flow. I know this is just Beta but the way it's currently implemented defeats the whole purpose.

I'm assuming I'm doing this right. I find MM5 very difficult to navigate.
MBane, if you see this, could you clarify how you'd like it to behave in the Now Playing view? Would you want it to auto-scroll to the appropriate album cover when the currently playing song changes? Should it still be possible to navigate around the carousel and change the song?

- - -
Andre_H wrote: Mon Oct 04, 2021 2:40 am And then there is this: said random playlist, 1 track per album. When I double click on the album cover, all tracks on the album are picked up for playing, not just the ones from the playlist.

Any handling error on my side?
You're right, I forgot about that. Fixed in 0.2.4, along with:
  • Smoother resizing
  • An FPS counter at the top left to measure performance (temporary)
Please note, however, that if you right click an album and select Play Now/Next/After, the tracklist that plays will be from the full album. This is for technical reasons, based on how MediaMonkey handles tracklist context menus. Hopefully it's not a big inconvenience.
Download it here: https://1drv.ms/u/s!AqHzUrf30uprroEkYXzKVf6Q2z99Qw

Please note that while testing, I encountered a crash once that I could not reproduce. If you get a crash while using the addon, especially one that says something along the lines of "cannot read property indexOf of undefined", please let me know exactly what happened before you encountered the error and how to reproduce it. Thanks!
Andre_H

Post by Andre_H »

drakinite wrote: Mon Oct 04, 2021 12:54 pm That being said: If you think that would be a useful feature, and others agree, then I can add that functionality.
That would definitely be useful, especially for the users who listen to more random playlists than full albums. I know at least one of them ... ;-)
drakinite wrote: Mon Oct 04, 2021 12:54 pm I believe someone asked about using it in the Now Playing view:
Yep. And again ... I know at least one of them: ... ;-)

Barry4679

Post by Barry4679 »

drakinite wrote: Mon Oct 04, 2021 12:54 pm Please note that while testing, I encountered a crash once that I could not reproduce. If you get a crash while using the addon, especially one that says something along the lines of "cannot read property indexOf of undefined", please let me know exactly what happened before you encountered the error and how to reproduce it. Thanks!
I seen this error with with 2507 unrelated to your add-on ... ie. I have no loaded your add-on.

see here
Want a dark skin for MM5? This is the one that works best for me .. elegant, compact & clear.
drakinite

Post by drakinite »

Barry4679 wrote: Tue Oct 05, 2021 4:10 am I seen this error with with 2507 unrelated to your add-on ... ie. I have no loaded your add-on.

see here
That's okay, but thank you anyways - That one is unrelated. I know exactly what line of code caused the crash that I experienced, but what I don't know is how to reproduce the crash. It was something screwy with the data source. I could add a check inside the code to prevent the crash, but then the program may behave unexpectedly in that case.
Andre_H wrote: Tue Oct 05, 2021 3:52 am That would definitely be useful, especially for the users who listen to more random playlists than full albums. I know at least one of them ... ;-)
:grinning:
What's your opinion on how it should behave in the Now Playing view? (see my question to MBane in the previous comment)
dypsis

Post by dypsis »

I just had another look at this addon after noticing a v0.2.4 link in a post above.
Can an option be there to not have the distorted album art view?
Maybe some people find that it looks good, but I would prefer the album art not be distorted.
Andre_H

Post by Andre_H »

drakinite wrote: Tue Oct 05, 2021 11:48 am What's your opinion on how it should behave in the Now Playing view? (see my question to MBane in the previous comment)
My very personal opinion, which does not have to apply to others:

- from the "now playing" / "playlist" - perspective, I would also find a way to control from the track list useful, but it would be more important that the album covers are in sync with the tracks played, even if they were random played. in most cases I will start a playlist with random playback and then let it run for a while, the controls are (for me) rather subordinate.

- If you navigate from the cover list, only the tracks of the underlying playlist should be shown and played, not the whole album. I wouldn't care whether the cover list scrolls through or jumps to the right cover on track (album) change, you could choose the more resource-efficient way. I would imagine that "scrolling to the right cover" could look pretty hectic.

drakinite

Post by drakinite »

dypsis wrote: Tue Oct 05, 2021 11:46 pm I just had another look at this addon after noticing a v0.2.4 link in a post above.
Can an option be there to not have the distorted album art view?
Maybe some people find that it looks good, but I would prefer the album art not be distorted.
Could you clarify what you mean by distorted?
Are you referring to the 3D perspective?