Auto-Organize accompanying Files

Any ideas about how to improve MediaMonkey for Windows 4? Let us know!

Moderator: Gurus

Bex

Auto-Organize accompanying Files

Post by Bex »

Greetings!

I have a wish regarding the "Auto-Organize Files" feature.
When I'm the mood to clean up my tags and filenames I sometimes bump into a big music file which has an accompanying cue file. The music file and the cue file has identical names, except for the extension. That's the way it has to be for the mp3cue plugin to work.
The thing is that when I Auto-Organize (rename) my music file I have to manually rename the cue file.

I would like the "Auto-Organize Files" feature to also rename the cue file:
- If it has the same name as the music file (before it's renamed, without the extension).
- Of course it has to be in same folder.

It would be extremly cool if the "Auto-Organize Files" feature also scanned the cue file and replaced the filename, found in quotes after the FILE command, with the new filename of the music file. (This is not necessary to make the mp3cue plugin to work but it is when you want to burn the file.)

What do you guys think?

PS I hope i made myself clear. If not let me know and I try to clarify

/Bex
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

This has been discussed before on the forum. I believe that the name buddy files was used back then. The developers were interested in the concept.
Peke

Post by Peke »

As I know MM do ask for moving all other files with music, but rename of CUE is not enough as CUE file has its reference to music files that are renamed with Auto-Organize, so the become unusable. Right thing will be to make new CUE but this is not possible untill CUE support is done for MM.
Best regards,
Peke
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to attach PICTURE/SCREENSHOTS to forum posts
Bex

Post by Bex »

Thanks for replies!

@Peke
As I know MM do ask for moving all other files with music, but rename of CUE is not enough as CUE file has its reference to music files that are renamed with Auto-Organize, so the become unusable. Right thing will be to make new CUE but this is not possible untill CUE support is done for MM.
Well, as I stated. It's enough with a rename of the cue file to just keep the functionality of the mp3cue plugin to work, but to make the cue file to work with all its intentions you also need to replace the filename of the actual music filenname within the cue file. As I see it could be possible without recreate the cue file. Just scan the cue file and replace the old music filename with the new one. Or isn't that possible?
Peke

Post by Peke »

Not untill CUE Support can be done. There is no way to execute additional processes after Move is complete. This additional process will include such convertations.
Best regards,
Peke
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to attach PICTURE/SCREENSHOTS to forum posts
Bex

Post by Bex »

Peke wrote:Not untill CUE Support can be done. There is no way to execute additional processes after Move is complete. This additional process will include such convertations.
But couldnt you just do the replace in the cue file before you move all content?
trixmoto

Post by trixmoto »

Bex wrote:
Peke wrote:Not untill CUE Support can be done.
Download my scripts at my own MediaMonkey fansite.
All the code for my website and scripts is safely backed up immediately and for free using Dropbox.
Bex

Post by Bex »

I've been cleaning my tags and files again so here I am again to express my wish to make this feature to be implemented. Me and the great Trixi had a mini-debate in the Cue-reader thread and using the same arguments, I dont agree that MM needs to have cue sheet support to just rename accompanying cue files. Furthermore this feature should also rename any accompanying files as requested in This thread. Lastly this rename feature should ask if you want to rename accompanying files, just like MM already does when it finds accompanying files when you move all music files from a folder to another!

What do you guys think?

Thanks
/Bex
trixmoto

Post by trixmoto »

Editing the file itself means a lot of work because you can have multiple FILE commands within a CUE sheet - I know you don't really do this Bex but for a stable solution all possibilities need to be catered for.
All the code for my website and scripts is safely backed up immediately and for free using Dropbox.
Bex

Post by Bex »

Well I disagree.
There are no music files that have an accompanying cue sheet with multiple FILE commands. All cue sheets that has the same name as a music file only contain one FILE command. If a cue sheet has several FILE commands then there is no single music file that has the same name as the cue sheet! It just doesn’t make sense otherwise!

If you “auto organize” a music file that has a corresponding cue sheet, It will make the cue sheet useless. It will not be read by Cue Reader due to the name differs and it can not be used to burn a CD since the file name after the FILE command within the cue sheet are wrong.

If you enhance the “auto organize” feature so it also renames the accompanying cue sheet, then the cue sheet will be read by the Cue Reader. It will still be useless concerning burning a CD though.

Out of those two alternatives I choose the second one!

However if you further enhance the “auto organize” feature so it, in addition to the second alternative, also change the file name found within the cue sheet then also the CD burning would work.

So pretty please with suger on top. Implement this renaming of accompanying files when you use the "auto organize" feature.

/Bex
trixmoto

Post by trixmoto »

This does make sense, and I'd have thought that finding the FILE command and changing the filepath to match would be easy. I second this! :)
Teknojnky

Post by Teknojnky »

I don't anything about the cue sheets your talking about, but having the option to rename accompanying files would be a nice feature.

2 things I can use it for is lyric .txt and .lrc files, and album art.
Bex

Post by Bex »

Finally I succeeded to express myself so it's understandable what I mean! :wink:

Thanks for the support Trixi and Teknojnky!

@MM-team, what are your comments to this? It is a rather old request (2003) where you have expressed that it might be considered to a future release.

/Bex
jiri

Post by jiri »

Well, it was considered and implemented the way it currently works, i.e. it helps when you move all music files out of a folder. General buddy files support is a little more problematic because of all the possibilities that can happen, configuration options, etc.

That said, we'll still consider improvements in this area, in case they can be implemented in an understandable way.

Actually, an idea for scripters here: What if MM exposes an event fired after a move operation so that a script could be called automatically then and do any special tasks users might require to do?

Jiri
trixmoto

Post by trixmoto »

Yes, I could write a script to meet Bex's needs if there was an event to attach the code to! :)